Lambert Pugh LLP are a specialist conveyancing law firm and try to help our clients by giving them a step by step guide to conveyancing.
We have a vast amount of experience dealing with thousands of transactions just like yours every year.
Buying or selling property can be a confusing and stressful time. To assist you we have prepared a step by step guide to conveyancing to explain the different steps and stages involved in the process.
The three main stages are listed below, please click to see the specific steps involved in each stage.
- The Buyer and Seller have to agree a price and instruct their respective solicitors to start the conveyancing process. Where Estate Agents are involved they will do this and will circulate the transaction details to all the interested parties. The Estate Agent or Seller will organise an Energy Performance Certificate if one has not already been commissioned.
- The Seller’s solicitors will have the Seller to complete a “Property Information Form” and “Fittings and Contents Form” which will be sent to the Buyer’s solicitors with the contract.
- The Seller’s solicitors will prepare and send the contract to the Buyer’s solicitors together with details of the title of the property and copies of any important documents that are referred to in the registers. The Buyer’s solicitors may raise some specific enquiries of the Seller’s solicitors arising from the documents received or the information within the Property Information form.
- If the Buyer is obtaining a mortgage they will make an application to the Mortgage Company and will need a firm written offer of mortgage before he can proceed to exchange of contracts. The Buyer must have their finance in place (including any mortgage offer) before we can exchange. The buyer will need to have a signed Mortgage Deed which secures the Mortgage on the Property.
- As the Buyer takes the property with any defects it may have, they should obtain a survey on the property before exchanging contracts. In practice this is often done by the Mortgage Company but the Buyer should consider whether this is sufficient for their needs and if there needs to be a more detailed survey (which can often be arranged through the Mortgage Company on payment of an additional fee).
- The Buyer’s solicitors will carry out a Local Search and such other searches (e.g. Water searches) as they deem appropriate for a particular property. The additional searches usually depend on the type of property being purchased and its situation for example in a coal mining area a mining search will be required.
- If the Buyer has a sale and there is a “chain” of transactions, the same process is carried out for every property in the chain. Exchange of contracts cannot take place until everybody in the chain is ready to exchange and all parties have arranged their finance.
- Once all the above steps have been carried out and all the parties in the transaction or chain of transactions have agreed a completion date the solicitors will exchange contracts. This is normally carried out by the solicitors by telephone. If a client has a sale and a purchase the solicitor ensures that exchange of contracts on both transactions is simultaneous and normally with the same completion date which has been agreed previously by the parties.
- Upon exchange of contracts a deposit (normally 10% of the purchase price) is paid. If a Buyer is in turn selling his own property the deposit from the sale is usually used in connection with the purchase and no further deposit is required from him.
- The Completion Date is normally 2-4 weeks from exchange of contracts and is agreed by the parties through their solicitors before exchange of contracts. The Completion Date has to be a weekday and is normally the date on which the parties move.
- Between exchange of contracts and completion the Buyer’s solicitors will prepare the Transfer of the property which is approved by the Seller’s solicitors and then signed by the parties.
- Where the Buyer is obtaining a mortgage the Buyer’s solicitor will send a report on the title of the property to the Mortgage Company in accordance with detailed instructions supplied by them and will apply to the Mortgage Company for the Mortgage Advance which they will normally receive the day before completion. Frequently the Mortgage Company will have requirements which their solicitor has to comply.
- The Buyer’s solicitors will make final Land Registry and Land Charges searches and obtain any balance of moneys required from the Buyer to complete.
- On Completion the Buyer’s solicitors send the Seller’s solicitors the balance of the purchase money by telegraphic transfer. If there is a “chain” of transactions the parties must wait for the monies to pass down the line between the respective solicitors’ banks.
- Once the Seller’s solicitor has received the purchase monies he will release the key which is normally held by the estate agent.
- The Seller’s solicitors will send the Buyer’s solicitors the transfer of the property to the Buyer together with any other title deeds or documents relating to the property.
- The Seller’s solicitors will redeem any mortgage or mortgages on the property and account to the Seller for the proceeds of sale.
- The Buyer’s solicitors will send any stamp duty to the Inland Revenue together with a “Land Transaction Return” relating to the property.
- The Buyer’s solicitors will receive a certificate from the Inland Revenue and will then proceed to register the Buyer’s title at the Land Registry.
Complete our simple callback form and a member of the team will call you back when it best suits you.
“Ashley was a star. She was polite and efficient even when I was stressed and getting fraught over time/dates.”
“Francesca was always very helpful when we phoned. Very professional and put into plain English what was going to happen with our move. Thank you.”
“Extremely helpful, polite, clear and explained everything thoroughly. I have heard many horror stories about solicitors but I am please to say Lambert Pugh was not one of them. ”
“This is the second time we have used Lambert Pugh, both times fantastic service”
“Tanya has been amazing from start to finish.”
“It’s been really easy and you all have been very helpful. Thank you for making this a smooth and easy transaction for our first time buying a house. “
“The service was brilliant. From the start Rachel explained everything very clearly and gave me realistic expectations regarding completion. Emails were responded to quickly and I was kept up-to-date at all stages. The fees were made very clear and there were no hidden costs. Really pleased by the level of service I received and would recommend to all my family and friends.”
“I couldn’t ask for any more from the service and the care has been top notch!”
“I have found the service both professional and economical. I would definitely consider using again in the future. ”
“Dealt with Temby and Debbie and could not have had better service and got up to date info on a regular basis. Absolutely super! This was the 15th house purchase in the last 60 years and never had better service.”
“Professional service throughout the whole process. Staff were quick to answer and efficient in general. It’s safe to say that we will use Lambert Pugh again!”
“Cannot fault the service and would recommend.”
“A very professional and courteous service from start to finish. Many thanks!”
“[Ashley Roe was] Professional at all times and I would have no hesitation in using your services again or recommending you to others.”
“I found the service efficient, fast […] will definitely use again and have already recommended ”
“Whenever we needed assistance they went above and beyond. Thank you so much for all your help and support.”
“Really happy with service. So understanding”
“Gina has made things really easy for us and was always happy to help when we were unsure of things.”
“I found Hakim to be polite, sometimes amusing and extremely efficient, I would certainly use him again. Thanks for a smooth transaction”
“Great communication and quick turnaround on paperwork and questions.”
“Temby and Debbie were brilliant from start to finish, answered questions in a timely fashion and were always friendly and very helpful. We would not hesitate to recommend Lambert Pugh. Thank you”
“Very happy with the service received.”
“Colette, Fiona and Sara have been friendly, professional and helpful at every stage.”
“A pleasure to deal with! Always friendly and very helpful.”
“I cannot speak highly enough of Vikci as she kept me up to date and when I was getting despondent she kept me going. Easy to talk to and easy to understand.”
“Extremely satisfied, Karina provided a very efficient service through the case and instructed me with procedure details”
“No Improvements needed!”
“Our experience has been very positive and we don’t have anything we would have changed. All extremely polite and quick to respond to our needs. Thank you very much.“
“Temby and Debra were absolutely brilliant throughout the process. We were kept up to date with progress on a regular basis. We will have no hesitation in recommending Lambert Pugh to our family and friends. Thank you so much for an amazing service.”
“Karina has done an amazing job for us and we have been very impressed with her professionalism, courtesy and ability.”
“I was absolutely unsure about using an Solicitor I found on the internet, however I have found the whole experience to have been handled professionally and with utmost competence. Thank you.”
“Katharine was most helpful and efficient. I would highly recommend your company and most certainly use again.”
“Justina was always incredibly efficient, pro-active and would return calls promptly.”
“I would 100% Recommend Lambert Pugh. Justina provided an excellent service”
“Karina is very professional and polite and I could rely on her for further information and clarification.”
“The Purchase was made very easy by my Solicitor. When I needed to talk to someone, my call was answered quickly and efficiently. I was recommended to use Lambert Pugh and I will certainly be recommending them wherever I can.”
“This was our first ever house purchase and every question we had was answered clearly and quickly. Everyone says buying a house is stressful, but it wasn’t for us!”
“Ashley almost always picked up the phone herself, responded to emails and was a pleasure to deal with.”
“Susie and her team have been fabulous. I am extremely pleased with the service. A quick finish became essential for our Vendors and Susie was able to complete in less than 7 weeks. Super Job, thank you!”
“Our conveyancing team – Leela, Rebecca and Hakim – were exceptional.”
“Thank you for all your work with the sale of our property”
“It was a very good experience from the team that took care of our purchase. We were kept up to date and had all our questions replied to in good time. I would have no hesitation to use Lambert Pugh again!”
“Temby was extremely efficient throughout the whole process”
“We could not fault the service given to us. Well done and a very big thank you.”
“I Found Hakim and his team – Leela and Rebecca – friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I had full confidence in them.”
“Katherine Chatters and Anita Williams have exceeded our expectations. Thank you so much for being so responsive and keeping communication lines open.”
“We were treated with patience and kindness throughout the purchase. ”
“I was really happy with the service and felt Jake really came through when it mattered. Excellent value and service.”
“Extremely happy all round with service.”
“Georgie, on behalf of Hakim, has been efficient and informative throughout. We shall be recommending you!”
“Ellice has been superb from day one and has dealt with all my queries promptly and efficiently.”
“Really pleased with the service received. Justina Weeks was always available and replied to my queries promptly. Nothing could have improved the service.”
“Always someone at the end of the phone to advise. Irina was excellent.”
“Quick to respond to any matters arising, and patient when I didn’t understand the terminology and put it into words I could understand.”
“Katharine was so thorough and thoughtful. A great asset.”